Sunday, June 17, 2012

Things I Will Miss About Louisiana - Part I


Garden

Though it may sound trite, one reason I'm a little sad to be leaving Louisiana so soon is because I’ll have to leave our garden.



I’ve never gardened before in my life, but I just dove right in this spring.  It gave me something to fill my time and enjoy our summer down here.  I have to admit, I am pretty proud with what we were able to do.  Before the garden area, was there, it was just and open space of pretty compacted dirt.  I guess a large storage shed used to sit there.  But we were able to turn it into this:



After a lot of trial and error, we finally got some good plants going.  My favorites are my cucumber plants.  I just love the giant green leaves and bright yellow flowers. 

 

And we have baby cukes!





Here’s the rest of the crop:

Yellow Squash



Garden Beans



Lettuces



Okra



Basil 



Broccoli, Cilantro, Spinach (barely), Parsley



We’ve got carrots in there, too, but I didn’t get a good picture of them. 

It will make my heart sad to leave this garden.  A lot of blood, sweat, and tears (literally, all of the above) went into it.  But I am thankful for the solace it provided while down here and for the experience we gained by working hard on it.

I just hope our landlord at least comes by and helps herself to its harvest! J


No comments:

Post a Comment